Tahiti, the largest island in the Windward group of French Polynesia evoking visions of an island paradise. With rugged mountain peaks, coral reefs, turquoise-blue lagoons, white sand, palm-fringed beaches, and luxuriously intimate resorts, each island paradise has something for everyone. For the visitors at Tahiti, there are unlimited possibilities of the activities. Some of the most popular activities and sites to visit include:
1) Le Marché: Shop and discover the true heart of Papeete, a 155 year old public market called the Le Marché. Here you can shop from hundreds of stands that are filled with Tahitian-made crafts, oils, vanilla, fruits, and flowers. It’s the perfect place to find everything imaginable from all the islands.
2) Evenings at Vai’ete Square: Here, you will find dozens of colorful roulottes, or food wagons hosting a great variety of island cuisine and desserts. So enjoy a unique and informal dinner or a memorable post-dinner dessert at Vai'ete Square. The boardwalk atmosphere here is an informal and has a lively setting that one should not miss.
3) Island Tour: There is no better way to gain a sense and experience the everyday Tahitian life, than passing through the small villages on a circle-island tour. You can either drive around the island by rental car or take a guided bus tour, as nearly every island has a coastal road following the lagoon shores. You can even explore the island interiors on a 4x4 safari, guided nature hike, or horseback ride. Float across the lagoons on a motorized canoe, sailboat, or powerboat. Or opt for a helicopter tour for dramatic views above the islands.
4) Visit to the Pearl Museum: This Museum is the only museum in the world devoted entirely to pearls. You can even attend their unique presentations that describe and demonstrate the history and practice of cultivating pearls as well as their place in art, history, mythology, and religion.
5) Activities: Other activities and sites that one can enjoy are deep sea fishing, Notre Dame Cathedral of Papeete, Papeete Town Hall, 4X4 Safari from Faa'a into the high mountains, Waterfalls and walking trails at Faarumai, guided hike to the top of Mt. Aorai, guided hiking trips into the remote Pari Region of Tahiti Iti for the adventure lovers and many more such activities.