1) Familiarize yourself with the traffic rules and obey them.
2) Keep it loose and do not restrain yourself with itineraries. Having said that, make a rough route map with milestones. This will ensure you do not miss out on what you set out to see. In the event you find a crazy attraction or location be spontaneous and explore it.
3) Don't overdo. Stop every 250 kilometers, or every 2 hours (depending on the road condition and your speed).
4) Pull over if you start feeling drowsy. Stop and have a rest, even a nap, and let someone else share the driving too. Be patient, it is better to get there late than never.
5) Follow the Two-Second rule. Allow two seconds between you and the car in front; make it four seconds if it's wet or the traffic is heavy.
6) If you are travelling slowly or towing a trailer, pull over and let following traffic pass, especially if a queue starts to form behind you.
7) Incase you need to stop then make sure it is in a safe place, clear of the traffic lanes, preferably in a lay-by or parking area.
8) Before leaving your car, make sure it is safe and secure. Check the headlights are off, valuable personal items are hidden from view or locked away from opportunist thieves, the car is safely parked and wheels turned to the curb if on a slope. Note where it is parked, if in a parking lot or unfamiliar area.